We may not be able to agree on which team should win the Big Game, but everyone can get behind a cold Boston Lager and a homemade pizza. Whether you’re hosting a crowd or watching solo, grab some Boston Lagers and whip up a Sam Adams Big Game Pizza with a Boston Lager-infused crust. This recipe lets you drink and eat your beer & we think that’s the best of both worlds.
1) Mix pizza sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.
2) Stretch dough (recipe below) to desired diameter (12” thicker, 14” thinner), and lay on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, pizza pan, or screen.
3) Swirl on sauce mixture to about 1/2” from the border of crust.
4) Evenly distribute mozzarella, then yellow pepper, then red onion (in that order) all to about 1/2” from the border of crust.
5) Evenly sprinkle on the grated cheese to the very border of the crust.
6) Bake for 10–15 minutes until your toppings are bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
7) Out of the oven, add basil and a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Let rest a few minutes, and then cut, serve and enjoy.
Sam Adams Boston Lager Infused Pizza Crust
Makes 2 Crusts
1) Warm the beer to 120°F–130°F by putting the bottle in a bowl of very warm (not boiling) water or by running it under hot water. If you don’t have a thermometer handy to measure exact temperature, the beer should feel very warm (not too hot) to the touch.
2) In a 5 quart or larger bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt, and oil.
3) Add beer to flour mixture and stir with a fork until the dough is lumpy, then mix by hand. Gradually add flour as you knead so that finished dough is slightly tacky and elastic. Periodically poke dough as you knead; when it gently springs back after being poked, it is done.
4) Break finished dough into two equal pieces.
5) Ball each piece up and place each in a separate airtight container lightly greased with olive oil. Each container needs to be at least a quart in size to allow for each dough ball to double in size (deli quart containers work great for this).
6) Set dough aside to rise in a warm location, about 70°F-80°F. After dough has expanded up to double its original size (about 1-2 hours), gently remove from container and stretch to fit on a lightly greased 12” or 14” cookie sheet, pizza pan, or pizza screen.
7) Follow instructions listed above for Sam Adams Big Game Pizza and enjoy!
· 1 risen ball Boston Lager-infused pizza crust
· 5 oz. your favorite pizza sauce
· 1 Tbsp of your favorite hot sauce
· ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
· ½ cup diced red onion
· 1 cup loosely packed shredded whole milk mozzarella
· 2 Tbsp grated cheese (Recommended: Parmesan or Romano cheese)
· 6 leaves fresh basil sliced into fine strands
· Extra virgin olive oil plus more for oiling your cookie sheet, pizza pan or screen, plus more for drizzling on finished pizza
· 3½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
· 1 packet instant yeast
· 1 Tbsp fine granulation salt
· 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing rising container and cookie sheet, pizza pan, or screen
· 12 oz. bottle of Samuel Adams Boston Lager warmed up to 120°F–130°F
Pairing Notes from Samuel Adams Brewery Manager Jennifer Glanville:
Boston Lager is a perfect pairing for this championship pizza. Complex and balanced, the sweetness of the tomato will bring out the brew’s caramel malt character. Slight floral and sweet citrus notes from Boston Lager’s Noble hops are perfectly contrasted by the tangy onion and herbal basil notes. The addition of hot sauce finishes this pairing with a little heat that is balanced by a complex and lingering finish.